Did You Know:
* Headaches and lower back pain are the two most chronic conditions in the population.
Headaches are the third major cause for people visiting chiropractors.
* More than 93% of the population report a significant difficulty with headaches at some point in their life.
Headaches are one of the major causes of missed work.
* 78% of all headaches are tension-type, 16% are migraine and 3% are chronic tension-type (more than 3 days a week, 52 weeks per year)
* According to the International Headache Society (IHS), tension type headaches are a new classification of headaches. They are not muscle contraction headaches nor are they tension headaches; these terms are no longer accurate.
* 100% of tension type sufferers and 90% of migraine sufferers have neck pain during headaches. 77% have abnormal x-ray findings, especially an abnormal curve of the upper cervical spine. 97% have abnormal cervical spine motion and poor mechanics. This means that their spines are not moving properly which causes reflexive neurological problems.
* Tension-type and common migraine headaches are thought to be variations of the same disorder.
* Many believe that most headaches are cervicogenic (coming from the neck) in origin. Cervicogenic headache pain originates mostly from misaligned vertebrae irritating the greater and or lesser occipital nerves. These nerves run from the back of the neck to the top of the head. Irritation of the greater occipital nerve can actually cause pain in the face and around the eyes. This type of headache is commonly (and often mistakenly) referred to as a "sinus" headache.
* Chronic cervicogenic irritation of these nerves will eventually lead to migraine headaches.
* A significant problem with the treatment of headaches is in the home treatment of headaches. Over the counter (OTC) medicines, are used to treat 90% of the cases. It was first thought that these remedies were inexpensive and harmless. Nothing can be further from the truth. Some estimates say that there are about 10,000 gastrointestinal (GI) related deaths yearly from bleeding incidents secondary to anti inflammatory drug use. According to the New England Journal of Medicine, ten percent of all the people on dialysis machines, are there because of damage to their kidneys caused by overusage of non-steroidal anti inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) or acetaminophen. Think about that, 1 in 10 of all the people who must rely on a machine to purify their bodies are there due to taking over the counter pain relievers.
* YOU DO NOT HAVE TO LIVE WITH PAIN! Chiropractic care has been found to be extremely effective in the treatment and cure of cervicogenic headaches. Gentle manipulation of the affected joints in the neck not only produces pain relief, but it can actually fix the cause of the problem! Given the comparative safety of chiropractic methods compared to medication, it stands to reason that all headache sufferers should be given a trial period of chiropractic treatments.